HAPPINESS AND CONFIDENCE
Applying this exercise will enhance your life. If you have
trouble recalling positive experiences, you can gain from this
exercise by picturing hypothetical experiences that can serve as
a resource for the future. Spend sufficient time on each part of
the exercise to have a positive emotional feeling even if a
slight one. With repetition it will become easier to invoke
positive emotional responses. Modify these exercises to fit your
1) Recall an instance when you felt calm and relaxed (such as a
trip or vacation). Try to relive that experience by remembering
as many details as possible.
2) Remember at least three of the most positive experiences you
have had during your life. Recall as many details as possible.
Actually relive the emotional feelings that you had at that time.
3) Remember at least one instance when you were successful in
doing something. Picture yourself in the situation and feel some
of the original pleasure.
4) Recall an act of kindness you did for someone. Feel pleasure
in having performed it.
5) Recall an instance where you controlled an impulse such as
overcoming a desire or an instance when you refrained from saying
6) Think of a positive trait you have or that someone you respect
said you have.
7) Recall an instance when you felt inner strength and
confidence. Try to experience that feeling by recalling the
instance as vividly as possible.. Make a cue that will help you
remember the instance.
8) Think of something positive you would like to do. Imagine
yourself actually doing it.
9) Think of something nice you can say to someone or do for
someone. Imagine yourself actually saying or doing it.
10) Think of something you can do for self-improvement. Picture
yourself actually improving.
Anyone may reprint this page and distribute it free of charge as long
as the source and copyright is acknowledged: from
Happiness, (c) 1983, Rabbi Zelig Pliskin